Motion 29Towards Peaceful Coexistence
In July the Motion 29 Working Group released its Interim Report concerning the blessing of same gender relationships formalised by a civil union. It makes a series of recommendations to the Anglican Church as to how it might hold both theological integrities "together within the same ecclesial family so that no one was forced to compromise sincerely held beliefs” (p. 5). They acknowledged that these integrities ('generally for' and 'generally against') were valid and honourable but irreconcilable. Further, their mandate made it clear that they were not to re-litigate the theological work already completed elsewhere. Ultimately, their job was to present a structure in which all parties could coexist peacefully.
This has not been easy. Nevertheless, our mandate as Christians is to love one another, forgive one another, and seek to be the bride of Christ in all that we do as a church.
To help you understand the Report's recommendations we have prepared this summary Fact Sheet that concludes with a series of recommendations:
- Read the Interim Report of The Motion 29 Working Group
- Watch Archbishop Philip’s training and education videos (you can also download them):
- Contact Rev Stephen Black (for Waikato) and your Archdeacon with any questions or invitations to discuss the Interim Report (firstname.lastname@example.org | 027 741 0949 | 07 857 0437)
- Arrange information and discussion meetings for your community to help them understand what the issues are.
- Ensure that your Synod Representatives are equipped to understand and contribute to the discussion at Synod (should they be required).
Story Published: 18th of September - 2017
Diocesan Child, Youth, and Family Research Project (5th February 2018)
PHASE ONE: CYF Ministry Research Survey Sent
Introducing Ben Ong (5th February 2018)
Our people | Our stories
Schools Back! (4th February 2018)
Diocesan Schools back for new year